New-comer on the Swedish fashion scene, Arethé Stockholm, won first place in the Show Up Fashion Award contest. Behind the fashion label is designer Alina Bendikova who has been working with Arethé for about two years. She dreams of becoming a household name in the industry.
Arethé Stockholm – the label and the new collection
The label was founded in 2013 by Bendikova and her fiancé with the ambition to create clothing for the busy career women of today. For Bendikova the most important part of every collection is that the garments fit as both day wear and evening wear.
– Our collections are defined by attention to details, flawless execution and use of luxurious materials.
The collection that won the Show Up Fashion Award was the new S/S15 collection. It’s characterized by oversized silhouettes and masculine elements in white and black.
– This collection is sporty, luxurious and sexy in an unconventional kind of way, with inspiration from boxing and Japanese high fashion.
Photo: Peter Håkansson
On winning the Show Up Fashion Award
– I’m still completely surprised and overwhelmed. I did not expect this at all, I was happy that I was in the finals and for me that was enough.
Arethé has had a rocket start in the industry. The label has already been chosen to participate in Swedish Fashion Talents next year.
– I never dreamed that our brand would get this kind of start, Bendikova says.
Show Up Fashion Award is an annual competition for promising talents in the fashion industry. The contest aims to help designers establish their brand on the market. The first prize is worth 350 000 SEK which is given to help the winner build and evolve both their business and the whole concept.
So, what’s next for Arethé?
– This means that I get to take my brand to the next level. At the moment I’m concentrating on getting our next collection ready. My next goal is to find a good PR agency and make it to Fashion Week in Stockholm.
If you get to dream big, what will happen in the future?
– I wish my brand to become a household name in Sweden, like Acne Studios is. Within five years I’d like to be established abroad, in countries like UK, Japan, Germany or Italy. But I don’t want to rush anything, right now I’m concentrating on my current market to create a strong brand here before expanding.
The S/S15 collection was the second collection by the designer. Arethé is also one of the eleven up and comers chosen to participate in Swedish Fashion Talents 2015. Arethé is definitely a new name to follow in the industry.
Tags: Arethé, new brand, Show up fashion award, swedish design, Swedish fashion, swedish fashion talents
Nanna is an aspirant Swedish speaking Finn from Helsinki, who is currently based in Stockholm. She studies journalism and fashion, speaks four languages and loves to learn. Her passions are all things sartorial, writing, photography and travelling. She also appreciates interior design, architecture, arts and books. With a love for the minimalistic Scandi style she takes life one day at a time, and is almost always found with a smile on her face.
Following the success of their first athletic apparel launch, the…
The horror of Midsommar is at the expense of the Swedish tourist…
Instagram is a hub for creative inspiration in so many…