Gingerbread cookies are a sure sign of Christmas. I love them because they taste delicious and are very easy to make. I have 2 secret ingredients in my recipe that make them little different from typical gingerbread cookies. Check out the recipe!
This is what you need:
200 g Butter
1 Cup Sugar
Little Over 0,5 cup Dark Syrup
4 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 tsp Baking Soda
2 tsp Cinnamon
2 tsp Ginger Powder
2 tsp Clove Powder
2 tsp Freshly Grated Orange Peel
3 tbsp Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice
1. Heat up the syrup in a pot on your stove top on medium heat.
2. Add the butter in little cubes and mix. Add also sugar, orange juice and orange peel, remove the pot from the stove top and mix well until butter has melted. Add the eggs as well and mix.
3. Mix all the dry ingredients together and add them in the pot. Mix until the dough is smooth and put the whole pot in the fridge over night. Don’t worry if the dough seems to be loose at this point. And definitely don’t add any more flour than the recipe calls for.
4. The next day the dough will be significantly more stiff than it was the day before. I like to scoop out the dough from the pot, form 4 individual balls from it and work them one by one while keeping the others in the fridge. I do this because once the dough starts to warm up it’s harder to handle. If you wish, you can also freeze part of the dough. That way you have fresh cookie dough ready to go and you can always just bake little bit at a time.
5. Pre-heat your oven to 200 °C/ 390 °F. Prepare few oven pans by placing cookie sheets/baking paper on them.
6. Prepare the cookies by rolling the piece of dough very flat on your counter top. Use different sizes and shapes of forms to make hearts, ginger bread men, christmas trees….etc. Remember to put the same size of cookies on the same oven pan.
7. Bake for 5 minutes. Let the cookies cool down on the pan before moving them.
If you wish you can decorate them with icing but I personally like these tasty cookies just like that.
Tags: a good cookie recipe, christmas cookies, dessert, gingerbread cookies, home made cookies, home-made christmas cookies
Veera is Master in Economics graduate from Finland who has travelled around the world for her work. Her passions include yoga, photographing, food and beauty. She has lived and worked in countries like Russia, Austria and USA. Veera recently started a lifestyle blog about beauty, style and food and has really found her calling. She is also the food editor for Nordic Style Magazine.
There is a reason Midsummer is such a grand celebration…
The Magnum Pleasure Store opens in Magasin at Kongens Nytorv…
Ivana Helsinki celebrates 20 years as a independent art, fashion…