Sweet and sour rye bread was one of the two breads we had with our holiday season dinner menu.
It is such a delicious recipe for a home-made bread and perfect for the holiday season! I think it is really great for any occasion since it is very tasty and it works great with appetizers or just like that with some salted butter! The bread is super easy to make and doesn’t require any kneading what so ever. You cannot fail in making this bread!
This recipe makes 2 loafs:
1 liter Butter Milk
75 g Yeast
3 dl Dark Syrup
3 dl Beer Malts
3 dl Rye Flour
3 dl Wheat Germ
1 tbsp Salt
10 dl All purpose Flour
0,5 dl Dark Syrup+ 1,5 dl Water (for spreading it on top of the loafs during baking)
Butter for the loaf pans
1. Warm up the butter milk. Add the yeast and mix.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
3. Let the dough rise for 1,5 hours.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 175 °C/ 345 ° F. Spread butter on the loaf pans and divide the dough into two separate pans.
5. Bake the breads on the lowest level in the oven for 1,5 hours. Spoon some syrup water on the loafs and bake another 30 minutes.
6. Take the loafs out of the pans on an oven grid and let rest and cool down under a cotton cloth.
Enjoy with salted butter! 🙂
Chef’s note: This bread stores very well. In order to make sure that it stays fresh keep it in the fridge. I like to also sometimes slice it ready into very thin slices and then freeze the slices for later use. This way you can take out one slice whenever needed, pop it in the toaster and it tastes like freshly baked!
Tags: bread, healthy bread, home made bread, maailman paras saaristolaisleipä, nauvon limppu, paras nauvon limpun ohje, paras saaristolaisleivän ohje, rye bread, sweet bread
Veera is Master in Economics graduate from Finland who has travelled around the world for her work. Her passions include yoga, photographing, food and beauty. She has lived and worked in countries like Russia, Austria and USA. Veera recently started a lifestyle blog about beauty, style and food and has really found her calling. She is also the food editor for Nordic Style Magazine.
With Nordic culture becoming an increasing source of inspiration for…
When exploring downtown Copenhagen, the number of options when it…
If you’re looking for the perfect city for a long-weekend…