Meringue pie is also called “Brita tart” in Finnish. It’s great because the base flavour is very simple and you can add a twist to it by using different kind of berries or by flavoring the whipped cream topping with your favorite flavor. I like to add a little bit of vanilla flavor to the whipped cream and serve the pie with berries. This time I used raspberries and peaches but my absolute favorite is just strawberries.
4 egg yolks
2tsp baking powder
4 egg whites
¾dl coconut chips (optional)
1-2dl Heavy Cream
Powder Sugar to sweeten the cream
1. Pre heat your oven to 175C and get all the ingredients ready.
2. Separate egg yolks and whites.
3. Blend soft butter and sugar. Add egg yolks and stir.
4. Add flour and baking powder together with milk. Mix well. Pour the dough in a cake pan, I used a string form for this.
5. Prepare the meringue; blend egg whites until they are hard foam and you can flip over the bowl without the whites to fall out (be careful with this one! :D) Add sugar carefully. Mix well.
6. Scoop the meringue on top of the cake dough. If you wish, sprinkle the coconut chips on top of the meringue.
7. Bake 25 minutes.
8. Let the cake cool down and after that place on a serving plate.
9. Whip the cream, flavor it with sugar and put it on top of the ready cake along with strawberries.
Sidenote: This cake also looks beautiful if you double to portion size and make 2 cakes and layer them on top of each other! In this case you can use a oven pan for the baking. Simply cut the cake in half after the baking.
Tags: cake, dessert, Easy dessert, fresh, meringue pie, strawberry, sweets
Veera is Master in Economics graduate from Finland who has travelled around the world for her work. Her passions include yoga, photographing, food and beauty. She has lived and worked in countries like Russia, Austria and USA. Veera recently started a lifestyle blog about beauty, style and food and has really found her calling. She is also the food editor for Nordic Style Magazine.
Are you as crazy about Durum as we are? Well,…
Ice cream brand Magnum marks its thirtieth anniversary this year,…
I spoke to Brontë Aurell, author of numerous cookery books…