This dessert will be an eye catcher at a dinner party and it will be a definite hit at the upcoming summer parties! It’s made only from 4 different ingredients. This will be very easy and quick to make and you can prepare it hours before the dinner!
For one serving you will need:
2 Scoops of Vanilla Ice Cream
Prosecco/White Wine (Riesling)
1 Egg White
2 Table Spoons of Powder Sugar
Multiply the recipe based on the amount of your guests
1. Cut the top of the orange off and scoop the inside of the orange out with a spoon. Grate the rind of the tops you cut off. Make sure to grate only the orange part, not the white one.
2. Take a new bowl and add the vanilla ice cream. Also, add a little bit of the orange juice from the oranges you just peeled out. It should be just enough that you are able to mix the ice cream looking like soft ice. At this point, add all the grated orange rind and few spoons of powder sugar. Mix with a electronic hand mixer.
Side note: If you want a strong vanilla flavour you can add little bit of vanilla sugar to the mix as well. This works well if you are doing a non-alcoholic version.
If you are preparing the dessert hours before the serving you can leave the mixture little bit looser. If you need to serve the dessert soon, make sure to keep it thicker.
3. Place one table spoon of ice cream in the bottom of each orange (see picture below). This will prevent the ice cream mixture from running out of the orange. (Often times you get a little hole in the bottom of the orange while scooping the insides out).
4. Fill them with the icecream mixture, cover the oranges individually with a tinfoil and place them in the freezer until you are ready to serve them. Optimal time is around 4 hours.
5. Just before you take them out prep the topping. Start by preheating your oven to 450 °F/230°C. Mix the eggwhites until they’ve turned into thick foam (you can turn the bowl upside down without the foam falling out). Add powder sugar and mix lightly.
6. Take the oranges out from the freezer. Take out the tinfoil and scoop the eggwhite foam on top of each orange. Bake in the oven until top is golden brown. This should only take a minute so stay next to the oven and monitor the oranges so that you don’t burn the topping.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tip: During the summer you can spice up the dessert for example by adding prosecco/white wine (riesling works great)/vodka (if you really want a strong one) in the icecream, leaving the icecream mixture little bit looser and serving the oranges with straws instead of spoons!
Serving dish: Classic Finnish Design from Iittala, Mariskooli
Spoon: Pentik, Amanda
Tags: dessert, Dessert with fresh oranges, Easy dessert, Fresh dessert, quick dessert
Veera is Master in Economics graduate from Finland who has travelled around the world for her work. Her passions include yoga, photographing, food and beauty. She has lived and worked in countries like Russia, Austria and USA. Veera recently started a lifestyle blog about beauty, style and food and has really found her calling. She is also the food editor for Nordic Style Magazine.
A star of Doomsday, Sex and the City and Men…
“Did you know there are over eight thousand types of…
With Nordic culture becoming a source of inspiration worldwide, there’s…